Saturday, November 19, 2011

Beautfiul Nightmare part 6



Beautiful Nightmare part 6
Congratulations!  Lana’s aunt had already taken her by the cheeks the minute she put down the pen and tightly suffocated her instead of hugging her, while a whole long queue of women was forming to do the same. Lana could not feel anything. No matter how tight they held her or wished her a happy life together, or told her how beautiful she looked, she couldn’t feel anything. All she could feel was a stabbing pain in her heart, a shock of electricity, like she was the centre of the voltage; she was in the wrong circuit. She feared to look to her ...to ...Sam who was doing the same thing as her, shaking hands and welcoming hugs from fathers, friends, uncles and other random strangers. All Lana wanted to do was run. Run as far as she could. Maybe if she ran far enough this beautiful nightmare would turn historic.  But instead all she could do was obey the crowd who was now leading Sam and herself to their first wedding dance. C’mon! It’s time for you two to dance together! She could feel hands holding her dress, arms, and veil as if to magically whisk her onto the dance floor, or was it as if they knew she was not going to go voluntarily? Sam stood up with a soft smile on his face, fixed his suit quickly and put his hand out towards her waiting for her to take it. Lana looked at his face, then his hand and did not look at his face again until the dance was over. He brought her to the dance floor where suddenly a hush entered the room like a new important guest had just arrived and the soft music started. All Lana could do was let Sam lead for she wasn’t even listening to the music she didn’t even know what song it was. Suddenly she was jolted into a space in time that shook her..... ‘’When we get married I’m going to choose our wedding song’’....’Excuse me? And you expect me not to know what wedding song we’re dancing to, until the day? Uuuuh, I don’t think so MR! In your dreams, besides I don’t trust you at all! You’ll put a rap song for all I know!’’ Lana continued to whirlpool into memory even though it was doing nothing but damaging her – She remembered everything, the cafe, the coffee in front of them the way Ahmed’s eyes glistened with care, love & laughter – she remembered her smile,  her happiness, her strength when she was near him . He had pulled his chair nearer and held her face staring into her eyes and said, ‘’Yes you do trust me, you know I would never let anything bad happen in our wedding day and I just want it to be a beautiful surprise’’. Lana’s feet stopped moving. Sam had been almost carrying her up to this stage. She kept looking to the floor and praying the song would stop any second now.’ ‘What’s the matter with you? You’re so stiff’’ Sam whispered. The words barely made any difference to her dying dance instead of wedding dance. If the song didn’t finish soon she could just see herself stop before the music did. Ahmed’s words were still pounding in her head. She ached to know what song he would have chosen, how it felt like to dance with him on a night like this, a night like their wedding night, how his eyes would have been like and how far her smile would have stretched - now she would never know, she would never know any of that. Her anger towards him for what he did was beating her heart; her undying love for him that she couldn’t stop or control was killing her, and the fact she just married the wrong man begged her to scream.

No comments:

What it is...

I see Life like a rose in the ice... beautiful but with cold settings - There are so many incredible things out there - but we always need to fight and perservere against the hardships too... otherwise the cold will win ... and we will wither away.

My imagination has led me to believe in something called 'Sudan Fairytale' -
The fantasy that My country will one day be independant and proud, never selfsish to provide its people with its needs, give freedom and success to all, be forever committed to achieve a prosperous inhabitance to every Sudanese in their own country-

My eyes fail me and I see the truth which I call - 'Khartoum Heartbreak' - This is a theme running through the blog under the 'Khartoum Heartbreak' Poems and whatever else about Sudan conveying broken down love, poor streets and cut off electricity along with a lot of other decays and problems in Khartoum city Life.

But I love my country and so I have no choice but to merge the Pain and the Love as one.

Faith is my heart and I could never do without it hoping in my prayers that I can be someone better always and that God forgives me as I fall in Mistakes through that frozen path of Life...

Sometimes I feel under control with all the too many emotions that run to colour my days and nights - Books, movies, music, dreams, friends, family, strangers, travel, - reality - the 10 O' Clock news -Most of the time I'm very Lost in trying to understand - whatever happens becomes tangled into writing this confusing memoir -

It's a really odd combination of air - not sure whether it is refreshing or suffocating - stabilising or maddening - But I breathe and
so it is
'Memoirs of a Sudanese breath' as I am 'Lost but under control' -