Saturday, November 6, 2010

and then I cook...... the beginning's of a story

The day begins with a dagger in my heart
My mind is stolen
My Soul lost in the dawn of the dead dreams
I wake up fall asleep
relax tense
pain and try in my lifeless hope
everything seems wrong
I could keep falling in this darkenedstory
I could keep breaking within my trembling possibilities
behind these walls
I can smell sense touch the anger
like
soft dews of untouchable love
beneathe the cover
I can feel the lie
the lies
as I lie still
Still


And then I cook

It begins by opening the door to the fresh saturday market
the hustle and bustle of a small city
I walk gently to fresh eggs, pink salmon, dirty leeks
everything is so fine
so simple
I buy the care and the freshness asking to return to something new


Deep inside
I cook for myself
I cook to forget
I cook to remember
I cook to love
I cook without counting
everything is correct
everything is possible
everything is beautiful

I listen to the soft fizz of oil as heat builds
boiling water bubbles calmly and I can see the salt , white with power rise and melt into the volcano ive created within
I choose the largest of the extra largest eggs
it's smooth and round hld within my fingers...

my bruised cut and tired sore fingers

close by, I cut the salmon into little pieces, the leeks into spirals

the oil is hot, hot like fire

again that wonderful blissful hiss of cooking, changing
I watch as the leeks get curly and tender, the oil breaks, the smells collapse into my lungs
I season the salmon with a hint of salt
with a push of black and red pepper
then
I begin to collect

is it collecting my feelings?
my pain?
my hostility
my fever
the white plate sits empty waiting to be used
like im waiting to be used

i place the melted leeks on the bottom the plate
they make a green soft platter of memories on the base of this story
then the pieces of now firm salmon sit plumply as the story continues
finally I shell the egg
the soft hot white touched my hands and it is like playing
it moves like a song
for i have barely let it

as I place the soft boiled egg in the centre and cut through
the yellow oozes out of its heart
the colours
Green, Pink, White, Yellow are all free now
for the story is complete
or is it?

I open the fridge and take a piece of Irish bread Soda
I let it warm through, as its rough particles soften
then i take some butter and start letting it touch the bread
soon
the bread is warm and soft and becomes another part of the family I have created



As I sit down I feel like the most professional woman in the world
not for just having made this
but for having created a masterpiece from within me
made with all my intentions
all my emotions
all my tastes
my loves
my tears
my memories
this isnt just a plate of food

its a plate of life
my life
my world
my time

as my world enters my body I merge with the divinity of peace
everything is now right
the taste is correct
the feeling is good
the meaning I can understand

I keep indulging into this wide open door of pleasure i have given myself
for there is nothing wrong with it
there is nothing strange about it

except it is mine

No comments:

What it is...

I see Life like a rose in the ice... beautiful but with cold settings - There are so many incredible things out there - but we always need to fight and perservere against the hardships too... otherwise the cold will win ... and we will wither away.

My imagination has led me to believe in something called 'Sudan Fairytale' -
The fantasy that My country will one day be independant and proud, never selfsish to provide its people with its needs, give freedom and success to all, be forever committed to achieve a prosperous inhabitance to every Sudanese in their own country-

My eyes fail me and I see the truth which I call - 'Khartoum Heartbreak' - This is a theme running through the blog under the 'Khartoum Heartbreak' Poems and whatever else about Sudan conveying broken down love, poor streets and cut off electricity along with a lot of other decays and problems in Khartoum city Life.

But I love my country and so I have no choice but to merge the Pain and the Love as one.

Faith is my heart and I could never do without it hoping in my prayers that I can be someone better always and that God forgives me as I fall in Mistakes through that frozen path of Life...

Sometimes I feel under control with all the too many emotions that run to colour my days and nights - Books, movies, music, dreams, friends, family, strangers, travel, - reality - the 10 O' Clock news -Most of the time I'm very Lost in trying to understand - whatever happens becomes tangled into writing this confusing memoir -

It's a really odd combination of air - not sure whether it is refreshing or suffocating - stabilising or maddening - But I breathe and
so it is
'Memoirs of a Sudanese breath' as I am 'Lost but under control' -